Gubra Vs Berbagi Suami

 



Yesterday, I went to PKNS with two intentions. First, I wanted to post two parcels to Sabah , which was done smoothly with extra information. I asked the lady-behind-the glass wall ( counter - lady ) the difference between Pos Laju and Pos Biasa and how much the cost for each one of them. So, now I got the needed info, time to plan for the hassle at the end of this sem.

Second, I went to every CD shop in PKNS and SACC and finally I settled with Video EZY shop in SACC. For the past few weeks, I was working on movie selection for Asian Literature assignment ; we are required to pick any Asian-issue-based movie and do a critical analysis on it. I tried to get some idea by browsing through filmasia.com  and other sites ; trying to figure out any potential one. I found several movies in which have some sort of personal connection with me. Most of them are movies in which I was attracted few years ago but had no chance to pursue them. For example , The Red Kebaya.
Then, I decided to try traditional method ; walk-in-the shop-and-pick anthing desirable. This is time consuming but I really love it. I'm a type of person who loves window shopping especially in bookshop and cd shop. Again, I encountered many other films , unexpected actually. They are Ghazal Untuk Rabiah, Cinta si Penggali Kubur, Sepet, Mukhsin, Gubra, Berbagi Suami, Talentime, Perempuan, Isteri dan... and also P.Ramlee's movies. I was torn between Musang Berjanggut, Gubra and Berbagi Suami. Even though I don't have any specific issues yet, but I was thinking on feminism or how the female are portrayed in the films. Perhaps women empowerment? Before this, I found a site, or more correctly, a paper on feminism in Embun and Pontianak Harum Sundal Malam. However, that would be plagiarism right.. So, I better use the same idea ; feminism , changed a little bit and use different movie. 

It is hard to find a contemporary movie which has strong message or should I say, sensible issues with reasonable plot @ storyline and good actors. Most of our movies are very , very much western-wannabe in many aspects ; clothing, make up, body language up to the way the actors talk. Tsk, tsk.. Lets try this, why dont you ( anyone, readers ?) sit and watch any Malay movie and focus on the dialogue. Look at how they spit out the lines , the way they convey the intended message. Literally, through ear, you hear Malay , but in your mind , you will hear English being spoken. Just try. What I mean is, the scriptwriter wrote the dialogue according to English sentence pattern, and the dialogue is in Malay. Not only that, the way the actors react or bring out their characters are very much according to how Western actors did it in the same situation. I only got exposed to this 'phenomena' by Mdm Azura in Asian Literature class and I did try it out, its true!! No  wonder I hate to watch most Malaysian dramas and films. Not only the issues are very lapuk and degrading, but the whole thing is very unnatural because they are acting in Western shoes, not doing it just how we do it everyday in real life situation. How are we supposed to get immersed in the story if everything is plastic and not flesh-and-blood?

Ehem, back to the topic, I had just finished watching Gubra. I already watched Berbagi Suami last night. Still in dilemma, which one should I choose. If the benchmark is on message, I'll say Berbagi Suami gives off stronger message than the other one. But, we'll see ...


Comments

  1. ewah.....amik yg controversial ba sal..byk issue and msg can be discussed..hehe gambatte

    ReplyDelete
  2. wahahaha.. trus mata suma orang terbuka besar.. terbeliak.. and sa kena lg ckp benda - benda X-rated.. hahaha..
    panas trus telinga suma orang

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is very 'literature' argument!!! kudos...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Moving On to Another Phase in Life

Holiday is nice. Getting the pay is nicer! * especially with the bonus coming up*

KUPI OH KUPI